Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bunny Smores!

I saw the idea for these a few weeks ago on another blog.  I make my own marshmallows all the time but I have never tried making graham crackers.  I decided to give it a try.  My friend wanted me to make them to put in her show this weekend to sell.  So I spent yesterday making marshmallows and made the graham crackers today.

Here is my recipe for marshmallows.

In a sauce pan put 2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 cup corn syrup.  Bring to a boil of medium heat.  Heat until a thermometer reads 238 degrees Fahrenheit (soft ball stage).


While that is cooking soften 2 packages of unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water.  Set aside.


In a large bowl put in 1/2 cup of corn syrup.  When the sugar mixture gets to temperature add it to the corn syrup.  Begin to beat it and then add the gelatin. Continue to beat for 5 minutes.


Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and beat for another 5 minutes.


Pour the marshmallow into a 9x13 pan and a 9x9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  My smaller pan is not square but has similar dimensions to the 9x9 pan. Use a spatula to spread it evenly in the pans.  Let sit for several hours or over night until it is set.


Dust a cutting board with powdered sugar.  Dust the top of the marshmallow with powdered sugar and pull out the marshmallow.  Lay on the powdered sugar covered cutting board.  Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.  The scraps can be cut up and dusted with powdered sugar. Dust the bunnies with powdered sugar.  I put them in a container until I was ready to assemble the smores.



I then made my graham crackers using the same cookie cutter.  I got the recipe and idea for the smores from The Chick N Coop.  Click on the link and then click on the recipe for the graham crackers.  I used honey in mine.  I could not believe how well they tasted.  Just like graham crackers from the store only fresher!!


Here are my marshmallow bunnies and graham crackers ready to assemble into smores!




I melted milk chocolate candy coating and spread it on the back of two graham crackers.  Then put a marshmallow in between them.  I used white chocolate to decorate the face.  I used purchased candy eyes and egg sprinkles for the nose.  They turned out so cute.  I made 27 smores.  These are quite large.  About 4 inches tall and 3 1/3 inches wide.  I tripled the graham cracker recipe and made 3 batches of marshmallows.

4 comments:

farmlife chick said...

Wow!! Awesome job! So glad to see your post on this and they look so cute!

Michelle said...

So cute! would be great for kids in Sunday school class.

Kathy ~ Cackles and Berries said...

those look like a lot of work but super cute. I bet my children would enjoy them.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

these bunnies are about the cutest I have ever seen!!! and I bet that taste good too...