Monday, April 2, 2012

Chapped Skin Salve

I have been making this for years.  The recipe always called for glycerin but I never had any so I always used apricot kernel oil.  The last time I made it I had glycerin that I had bought for my home made soft scrub.  So I made it with the glycerin.  Wow what a difference.  It always worked well and turned out great but it is just like Aquaphor that you buy in the baby section.  It has most of the same ingredients at a fraction of the cost. 

The recipe is very simple.  All you need is petroleum jelly, vegetable glycerin, and lanolin.  Make sure you buy the pure petroleum jelly.  A lot of the baby kinds have fragrance added to them.  The vegetable glycerin and lanolin you can find at most health food stores. 

Measure out 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly, 3 tablespoons of glycerin, and 3 tablespoons of lanolin.  Melt this all together in a double boiler.


Once it is all melted pour it into a container.  When I make this for myself I add the same essential oils that I add to my beeswax salve for eczema.  Since I made this to sell at a craft show I did not add any essential oils.  You should not use essential oils on infants.  This works great for babies or any dry chapped skin.


Once it has cooled put the lids on and label your container. 



I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop


 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I will have to give this a try. In my family dry skin is common.

Our Delightful Home said...

I will have to give this recipe a try. I have most of the items needed. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe :).

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com