Saturday, April 7, 2012

Natural Sunscreen

My son is allergic to sunscreen.  I wanted a way to protect his skin from getting burned in the summer so I found this recipe when he was little and have been making it ever since.  It does not have a real high spf because it is all natural and does not have any chemicals in it.  But if you reapply it every hour while in the peak sun hours it will keep you from getting burned.

First you need to make a cup of very strong tea.  I use black or orange pekoe varieties.  Make this by using 3 tea bags in a measuring cup and pour boiling water over it.  You need 1/2 cup.  So I normally fill it to the 3/4 mark.  By the time I take the tea out I have about 1/2 cup of strong tea.


While your tea is steeping melt together in a double boiler  1/4 cup avocado oil, 1/4 cup sesame seed oil, and 1 tablespoon of grated beeswax. 


Mix 1/4 teaspoon of borax into the 1/2 cup of strong tea.

Once the beeswax has melted pull the pan off the heat.  Take the pan out of the double boiler and set on a hot pad.  Now comes the tricky part.  While whisking with a whisk slowly add the tea to the oils.  As you add it the mixture will become creamy like a lotion.



Continuing whisking the sunscreen until it is completely cooled.  Once cooled transfer to containers.  It makes about 8 ounces.  The sunscreen might separate slightly in the containers but just shake the container well before squeezing it out to use.  The sunscreen lasts forever.  I have had sunscreen left over from the previous year and it had not gone bad on me.  I just shook it up well and applied.


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I've never seen one made with tea. Do you know what the science is behind that? Or the borax? I am pinning for later... thanks!

Jenny said...

This is so neat! Thanks for stopping by Jenny's Blessed Nest and sharing your link :)

Manda said...

why use borax? What is the purpose of borax in the lotion? Thank you

Manda said...

why use borax? what is the purpose of borax in your recipe? thank you for sharing. Can't wait to try

Tamra said...

mixing the beeswax/borax together creates an emulsifier combination which helps the cream stay on better... Actually there are many sunscreens that include a borax combination. :)

Tamra said...

mixing the beeswax/borax together creates an emulsifier combination which helps the cream stay on better... Actually there are many sunscreens that include a borax combination. :)