Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pickled Eggs and Beets

I decided to use up the rest of our Easter eggs and make pickled eggs and beets.  It is quite a simple process.

First peel your hard boiled eggs.  My recipe calls for 6 eggs.  I had a few more so that was fine.


Next open your can or jar of beets.  Either buy a can of beets or use a pint of beets that you have canned.  I used my own canned beets from last summer. Dump the beets over top the eggs.  It is best if you do it in a glass jar.  I did not have one that was big enough so I just used a plastic container.  The plastic containers just have a tendency to stain from the beets juice.


Now I mix up my pickling solution.  It takes 1/2 cup water, 1 1/2 cups vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon of cloves.  Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cook and stir until the sugar has dissolved.  Take off the heat and let cool slightly.  Pour over the eggs and beets.  Let them come back to room temperature.  Cover the eggs and beets and put them in the fridge.  Let them sit for 24-48 hours.  Enjoy!!


I make sure all the beets are covering the eggs to hold the eggs down in the pickling solution.  It helps the eggs get evenly colored.



The eggs will get darker purple the longer you leave them in the pickling solution.  The flavor also get stronger the longer you keep them in!


1 comment:

Linda said...

Very creative for sure. love the color.