Friday, April 27, 2012

Whole Grain Granola Bars

The normal granola bars that I make taste great and they go together quickly but they use processed cereal and flour in them.  I wanted to try and make a little bit healthier granola bar that I could eat and feel good about giving my kids too.  I found this recipe Here!  It is a great recipe that can easily be adapted to suit your tastes or allergies. 

Whole Grain Granola Bars
1 cup nuts any kind you want (I used soy nuts my kids are allergic to nuts)
2 cups oats  (not the instant or quick oats)
3/4 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup seeds any kind you want (I used sunflower seeds)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 Tablespoons Butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups of dried fruit of your choice

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Crush your nuts. This can be done by putting in a gallon size bag and hitting with a mallet. 


Combine your oats, wheat germ, seeds, and nuts in a shallow dish.  Toast in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Stirring frequently so they don't burn.  My soy beans were already toasted so I did not add them to the grains.


While the grains are toasting put together the brown sugar, honey, butter, and salt in a saucepan.  Cook over medium high heat until nice and bubbly.  Take off the heat and then add your vanilla.


Put your grain mixture into a mixing bowl.  Add your dried fruit.  I used blueberries and cranberries that I dehydrated last summer. 


Pour your honey mixture over top the granola and mix well. Pour into a 9x13 in pan lined with wax paper that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray.


Bring the edges up over the granola and press down to make nice firm bars.


Let sit until completely cooled. Then remove the granola from the wax paper.  Place on a cutting board.


Cut into bars.  I cut mine into 24 granola bars.  They are thin.  You can cut them into any size you want.


Wrap each one individually with Saran wrap.  Store in an airtight container! They are so yummy.  The cranberries add a hint of tartness to compliment the sweetness of the honey!!



I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop







No comments: