Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Oatmeal Milk Bath

If you have a family member who has had the chicken pox or has eczema then you have probably used the Aveno oatmeal bath.  It is wonderful stuff.  It is soothing on the skin and helps with itching.  The only thing is it is expensive.  When my son was young we needed it every night.  His eczema was so bad that he needed something to calm the skin and relieve the itching.  So I found this recipe on line.  It has been so long ago I don't know where I found it. 

I make it all the time and have a constant supply on hand.  I use it a lot in the winter when my son's skin is real dry with the heat.  This time of year I use it a lot too.  When my son is outside playing in the grass, trees, and weeds I make him take a bath at night to wash off all that pollen.  He uses the oatmeal milk bath to help with itching and to calm down and moisturize his skin too!  He loves it and says it makes his skin feel good.

I sometimes add essential oil to it and put some of it in small bags to give away.  I normally put enough for one bath in a bag and give it in a spa basket. 

The recipe is easy and very simple to make.



Oatmeal Milk Bath
2 cups nonfat powdered milk
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup old fashion oatmeal (not the instant kind)

Put the oatmeal in a food processor and process until finely ground. 



Add the rest of the ingredients and process until well blended. 




That is it!! Store in a air tight container.  To use put 1/4-1/3 cup into your bath.  Mix it up well.  Soak and relax!!

2 comments:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

When we first got Ella (our dog) my face broke out and was very red and irritated. I went to the dermitologist and she perscribed a lotion and pills. It didn't work. She perscribed something else and I got the hives. I said to hell with her and her $150 visits. I looked online and made an oatmeal and almond scrub. I healed up in two days. Modern medicine leaves something to be desired. I am a firm believer in oatmeal! I will be giving your soak a try. I love your ideas. You have a great blog.

Michelle said...

I love this idea! Will be trying it!