Thursday, June 21, 2012

Red, White, and Blue Popcorn

I saw the recipe for this on Phemomenon. She posted the recipe on a blog hop back over Memorial Day Weekend.  I saved the recipe to use when I had time.  My friend is having another show this weekend and I decided to make some of this to try and sell at her show.  The Red, White, and Blue will go great with the 4th of July coming up real soon!!

Old Fashion Candy Popcorn
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups whole milk or half and half (I used half and half)
2 tablespoons of corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vanilla
4 - 5 quarts of popped popcorn (the original recipe calls for 12 cups. I found I had way to much syrup for the popcorn so I added an extra quart or two)

In a saucepan bring the sugar, milk, corn syrup, and salt to a boil over medium heat.  Cook and stir until the syrup is at soft ball stage.  My candy thermometer has soft ball stage set at 235 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Take off the heat and add your vanilla.  Stir and add food coloring if desired.  The blog that I got the recipe from divided the syrup into three different containers and added the food coloring.  I made three different batches and made each batch a different color. 

Pour the syrup over the popcorn and stir until completely coated.  Pour onto wax paper and spread it out and let dry.  I found this took an hour or so.  Once my different colors were all dry I tossed them together and bagged up to sell. 


1 comment:

Fairyluver said...

I will have to save this recipe as well. This will be perfect for our 4th of July family picnic!! Thanks for sharing! Yours looks so beautiful I hope you sell lots:)