Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fresh Raspberry Pie

Last night I picked a quart of red raspberries.  It was not enough to make a batch of jam so I decided to make a fresh raspberry pie.  I haven't made a fresh fruit pie in a while so I looked for a recipe in my old taste of home magazines.  I found a recipe that I thought I would try. 



You can find the recipe here.

For  the crust all you need is 1 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1/2 cup cold butter.
Mix the butter in until crumbly and press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie pan.  Bake for 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-22 minutes or until browned. 



The crust compliments the pie well.  It has a slightly sweet and buttery taste.  But it was a mess to try and get into the pan and I found it hard to get out of the pan too.  The next time I make it I will just make my own pie crust that you roll out.  You can find the recipe on my blog on mulberry pie. I liked the taste of the crust above but just found it hard to work with.



Let the crust cool and make the filling.
You need 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, 1 1/2 cups cold water, 3 tablespoons of corn syrup.  Mix together and bring to a boil.  Boil and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.  Take off heat and add 1/4 cup strawberry gelatin powder and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  Let cool for 30 minutes. 



Wash and drain your red raspberries.  I normally put mine in a bowl after I pick them and cover them with water.  This forces any of the bugs or little worms out of the raspberries. I then drain them well.


Gently mix the raspberries into the filling and pour into the baked pie crust.  Put in the fridge and let set up for several hours.  Then enjoy!!


 
I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop


1 comment:

Lisa Lynn said...

This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing :)