Monday, July 16, 2012

Pickled Carrots

No your eyes are not deceiving you.  These are carrots.  My mom bought various colored carrot seeds this year.  The pretty colors make it more fun for kids to enjoy their vegetables.  You can see that the purple carrots are only skin deep.  They are orange once you peel them.  The yellow carrots are yellow on the inside too.


Once I got them peeled it was interesting to find that some of the purple carrots had a yellow center.  I don't know if this is normal or if they crossed with the yellow carrots.  They were all planted in the same row.  A little side note though.  I looked up to see what the purple carrots were supposed to look like.  I found out that all carrots prior to the 17th century were purple.  They even had purple flesh. Some were white and yellow.  Dutch growers took the purple, yellow, and white and mutated them to get the orange color that is widely known today.  Who knew??!!   People are starting to seek out heirloom and heritage variety of vegetables and now the purple, white, and yellow variety of carrots are becoming more widely available.

To make pickled carrots, wash, peel, and slice the carrots about 1/2 inch thick.  I used my wavy vegetable cutter to make them a little more fancier.  Start with about 3 pounds of carrots.  This will make about 4 pints.  I did not have enough and only got 2 pints.  But I still wanted to try this recipe.

Bring to boil 5 1/2 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, and 2 teaspoons of canning salt.  Boil for 3 minutes and then add your carrots.  Bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  You want them about half cooked. 

While the carrots are cooking prepare your jars.  In clean, hot, sterilized jars put 2 teaspoons of mustard seed and 1 teaspoon of celery seed. 



When carrots are done ladle into jars. Leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Fill with vinegar solution to 1/2 inch head space.  Clean rims and put on new lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop



I am linking to Carnival of Home Preserving



1 comment:

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Those look really good. I haven't tried pickled carrots yet. You have intrigued me to try them. Thank you for linking this up at the Carnival of Home Preserving!