Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quick Sauerkraut

My friend came over for the weekend and wanted to do some canning.  We picked veges at the farm and also went to our local farm market.  So we had two busy days of canning.  We canned 14 quarts of green beans, polish dill pickles, yellow banana peppers, beets, and then we started a batch of sauerkraut.  This is my first time trying sauerkraut.  I found a recipe from a pioneer cookbook for quick sauerkraut.  It is supposed to completely ferment in one week.  To do it the normal way it takes 6 weeks to ferment and be ready.  We just started on day four.  It is fermenting and looks pretty good so far.  I am hoping it ferments well and then I will can it. 

The only thing about the recipe is it gives you very little information  on how to process it.  I think all those old recipes just assume that everyone knew the process and all you needed was the recipe.

What is nice about this recipe is you make it in quart canning jars.  Great for those of us who don't have a big crock to make sauerkraut in or an area to let it ferment without having to smell it!!

To start you put 1 teaspoon of salt in the bottom of a quart jar.  Shred your cabbage and then pack into the jar.  I left 1 inch head space.  Put 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon of vinegar on top of the cabbage.  Then cover with boiling water.  I put lids on and then screwed on the rims. I realized by the next day that I needed to take off the rims.  It was fermenting well and creating a lot of gas in the jars.  I kept the lids on but without the rims it allows for the gas to escape and not create to much pressure and have exploding cabbage.

This is the sauerkraut on day four.  It is fermenting and creating a lot of gas bubbles.
It should be ready to can on Saturday evening.


I am linking to the Homestead Barn Hop

4 comments:

Sartassa said...

you know, the weird thing is, as an Austrian, Sauerkraut is a part of my culture ... sort of .. and up until now, I didn't even know how it was made. Thanks a lot!

hugs
Patricia

Lisa said...

How did the sauerkraut turn out. I would like to try this. Did you can at 10 lb pressure for 90 minutes?

Lisa said...

Did the sauerkraut turn out good? I would like to try this. Did you use 10 lb. pressure at 90 minutes?

Lilea Duran said...

Hi! What was the process for canning the sauerkraut after letting it ferment for one week? Did you keep everything in the same jar or transfer to a clean jar for the canning process?