Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Canned Stewed Tomatoes

Stewed Tomatoes are  great by themselves or added to soups, stews, and side dishes.  They are surprisingly easy to can. We have an abundance of tomatoes this year and I am trying to take advantage of it and make sure that I have plenty of food stocked up for the year. So I am canning all sorts of tomato products!


To can stewed tomatoes I followed the recipe in my canning book.  I did add a few spices to give it a little zip.
Stewed Tomatoes
2 quarts tomatoes, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients.  Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.  Ladle into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Wipe jar rims.  Adjust lids and process in a pressure canner at 11 pounds pressure for a dial gauge or 10 pounds pressure for a weighted gauge. Process pints for 15 minutes and quarts for 20 minutes.

I quadrupled the recipe.  I had 8 quarts of tomatoes left after canning vegetable juice and another batch of pizza sauce.  I just love the accent of color the yellow tomatoes add to this.

I did not have celery salt so I just used regular salt instead.  I added a teaspoon of celery seed, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 2 teaspoons of  basil, and a small hand full of fresh oregano. 


I cooked in my kettle for 10 minutes stirring very frequently.  I learned a long time ago to baby sit any tomato products that I cook.  I had a few batches of ketchup that I scorched.  There is no way to get rid of that taste.  Tomatoes scorch very easily.  So stir frequently and stay close by.

Here are my jars ready to go into the pressure canner.


I put my stewed tomatoes into pints.  I got 12 pints and had enough to do a 3 cup jar.  Due to the high ratio of vegetables to tomatoes, stewed tomatoes need to be pressure canned.  I have seen a lot of recipes on the Internet for stewed tomatoes and a lot of them do not tell you to pressure can.  I always check any canning recipe I find with my canning book.  The canning book I have was published in 2006 and is one of the most recent updated versions. Always check your canning recipes with the most recent canning books.  I have several old Blue Ball canning books from the 70's and a lot of the canning information in them is out dated.  So to be safe check ingredient quantities and canning times with the most updated information. A lot has changed in the safety of canning that is why you will see recipes in older books like my old Blue Ball book that are not in the new ones.

When you first take your jars out of your canner you will see that the mixture has separated.
The bottom will look like water and the top will have your tomatoes.  Don't worry this is normal.
As the jars cool and seal the mixture will redistribute.  I canned these last night.  By this morning
the jars were cool and the mixture has redistributed.  They look so pretty in the jars.




2 comments:

Plain and Joyful Living said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe - sounds wonderful as our tomatoes are just coming in.

Michelle said...

I,ll have to try this recipe. It sounds much better then my old one.