Monday, August 13, 2012

Canned Vegetable Juice

If you love V8 juice you will love this!!  Mine is more like a V5 or if you count the herbs it could be a V6 or V7.   I used the approved recipe for home canning vegetable juice as stated in my canning book. 

To start with you need 22 pounds of tomatoes.  These need to be washed cored and quartered.  To this add 3 cups of finely chopped vegetables.  This can be any combination you want.  I used carrots, onion, celery, and green peppers.  Then I picked some lime basil and lemon basil and put in a few leaves of each to flavor.


Put all ingredients in a large kettle or stock pot and begin to heat while crushing the tomatoes.  I put it on high and continued crushing the tomatoes until the mixture was very watery.  Then continue to cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.



When the mixture comes to a boil take it off the heat and put it through a strainer to remove the skins and seeds. I wish I had smellovision so you could smell this.  It smells just heavenly!!



After you have strained the mixture put into clean, hot, sterilized canning jars.  Add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice for pints and 2 tablespoons for quarts.  Or if you use citric acid use 1/4 teaspoon for pints and 1/2 teaspoon for quarts.  Fill jars leaving a 1/2 inch head space.  Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts.


I got 8 quarts and 1 pint plus 1 cup of juice left over which I drank.  It was so good.  This can be used as a drink or used in cooking for soups and things.  As the juice cools it mixes back together in the jar.  The quart jar on the right and the pint jar I had just taken out of the canner when I took the picture.  The other jars the juice has mixed back together. 

I am linking to the  Homestead Barn Hop


I am linking to Carnival of Home Preserving

1 comment:

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

This sounds great! Thank you Dina for linking this up at the Carnival of Home Preserving!