Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Canning BBQ Sauce

Have I mentioned that we have an abundance of tomatoes!! They are starting to slow down and the vines are beginning to dry up.  Which is kind of early for the tomatoes.  But with our warm spring and dry summer it is to be expected.  Yesterday I decided to make a batch of BBQ Sauce.  I haven't made any in a couple of years.  My family does not eat a lot of it but occasionally they like it on chicken or shredded venison.  I also canned a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes.  Nothing special just canned halved tomatoes.  I got 12 quarts and 1 pint of tomatoes!!

I had already juiced my tomatoes so I adapted some recipes to make the sauce.  Here is the original recipe that I used to adapt from.

The original recipe says that you can start with 3 quarts of tomato sauce.  I had 12 quarts of tomato juice so first I cooked it down by half.


Once it cooked down I add my other ingredients.  Since I now have 6 quarts of tomato sauce I doubled the ingredients from the original recipe. I added garlic powder and onion powder instead of the actually onions and garlic.

I put in 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 2 cups of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of canning salt, 2 tablespoons of dry ground mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons of paprika,  and 3 cups of vinegar. You can see how the color has changed after I put in the brown sugar and all the spices. 


Then I continued to cook it down until it got thick.  I did not make it quite as thick as my ketchup.  But this is a matter of personal preference.  Cook down until you get the thickness you want.  Make sure you are stirring frequently.  Especially the thicker it gets. 

Now put the sauce in your clean, hot, sterilized canning jars.  Wipe rims and adjust caps.  Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. 


I just love my old canning jars.  The one on the left is an old Atlas mason jar.  They are a square jar.  I have some in quarts too.  The one on the right is an older Ball mason jar.  I ended up with 10 pints of  BBQ Sauce.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have a old family recipe that I have wanted to make up for the family, but I had no idea how long to process it. Thank you so much. My family thanks you also.