Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Canning Sauerkraut

I was surprised at how easy it was to can sauerkraut.  Whether you are fermenting it the traditional way over 6 weeks in a brine or the quick way  like I did in a mason jar. After your sauerkraut is done fermenting you bring it to a boil with the liquid.  You know it is done fermenting when it no longer produces any gas bubbles. I did let mine ferment a couple of extra days.  Mainly because I was away and did not have time to can until today. It was no longer producing any gas bubbles.  I did taste the sauerkraut too to make sure it was fermented.  It tasted so good.  Very sour with a hint of saltiness and sweetness.


After it has come to a boil put into hot sterilized jars.  Fill jars with kraut and liquid  leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pints and 15 minutes for quarts.  When the liquid is in it the kraut looks a little darker.  Once drained though it will be nice and white like the picture above.  Let set until cool and check for proper seals. 


I started out with 7 quart jars that I fermented.  After the fermentation process I ended up with 6 quarts of canned sauerkraut.  It looks so pretty in the jars!!!

I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing. When we buy it at the store we end up throwing some away. With this I can make small jars. Which will stop us from wasting so much.