Sunday, August 19, 2012

Home Canned Ketchup



I have not canned any ketchup in several years.  My youngest son used to eat ketchup on everything.  I had canned some one year and we ran out half way through the year.  So the next year I canned a bunch.  I think I canned 52 pints of it.  I figured on using one pint a week.  That year my son decided he no longer liked ketchup and instead developed a taste for mustard.  So I had plenty of ketchup to last for several years. 

We have an abundance of tomatoes this year.  I have already canned a ton of pizza sauce (28 quarts and 16 pints), 2 batches of salsa, vegetable juice, stewed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes.  So I decided to can just one batch of ketchup.  I have used the Mrs. Wages packets before but they are really hard to find in the stores around here.  I also have made it from scratch before.  The flavor of the one from scratch did not taste like the ketchup you bought from the store.  I searched my canning book and searched a bunch of old recipes I had and came up with something that I thought would taste similar to store bought ketchup.  I was successful.  I can't believe at how much this ketchup does taste like the kind you would buy from the store. 

I used the recipe from my canning book to start with.  Then used the spices from a recipe out of an old church cookbook. 
To start you need 24 pounds of tomatoes and 2 pounds of onions.  I washed them cut them up and then cooked and smashed them down just like you would if you were making juice.  I cooked them for about 45 minutes.  Making sure I stirred often to keep from scorching.




Put the tomatoes and onions through a strainer and then put the juice back on the stove and bring to a boil and boil gently for 1 hour.  Making sure to stir frequently.

Now add 9 cups of sugar, 9 cups of vinegar, and 1/2 cup canning salt.  Put in a spice bag 1 tablespoon of celery seed, 1 tablespoon mustard seed, and 1/4 cup of pickling spice.  Bring this back to a boil and cook until thick.  Stirring frequently.  The thicker the mixture gets the more often you will have to stir it.  I let mine cook for 3 hours and I knew I had to leave to go to a wedding so I cheated a little.  I added clear jel to thicken it  up.  You can dissolve either corn starch or clear jel, whichever you prefer,  in some cold water and add it to your ketchup.  Stir it up and cook until you get the consistency you want.  Remember that the ketchup will thicken a little more once it is completely cooled.  If you let it completely cook until until it thickens on your own you should get 9 to 10 pints.  I only let it cook down for a few hours and thickened it.  I got 14 pints and 4  3 cup jars of ketchup. 

You can see the spice bag in the upper left on the kettle.  

I put the ketchup in my blender in small batches to blend up any bits of clear jel that did not dissolve.  This actually worked great because I was able to pour it from the blender right into my canning jars.  Fill your clean, hot, sterilized jars with ketchup leaving only an 1/8 inch head space.  Wipe rims clean and put on new hot lids.  Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. 

See how the ketchup just hangs on the spoon.  That is how thick you want it.
If you like thinner ketchup just don't cook it down as much. 


I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop


I am linking to carnival-of-home-preserving



I am linking to Homestead Barn Hop


1 comment:

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

Homemade ketchup = YUM!!!

Thanks for sharing this at the Carnival of Home Preserving!