Thursday, August 2, 2012

Polish Dill Pickles



Up until a couple of days ago I never knew there was such a thing as Polish Dill Pickles.  My friend who is polish described to me how her grandma used to make pickles.  She loved them and wanted to make them.  So I told her lets look up a recipe for a polish dill pickles.  The recipe that I found was very similar to the one she remembers.  The recipe has a few more spices than a regular kosher dill. We canned her batch on Sunday.  I decided to make a batch for myself today. We did not have the coriander seeds and she did not put in the garlic.  She is allergic to garlic.  That is why she enjoys canning her own food.  So many things she buys from the store has garlic in it.

Most dill pickle recipes tell you to cut your cucumbers and put them into the jar.  I have tried this several times and it never fails that I have soggy pickles.  Two of my favorite pickle recipes has me soak the cucumbers first in a pickling lime solution.  Those pickles are always so crisp.  So I decided to do this with these pickles.  I soaked my cucumbers in a pickling lime solution which was 1/4 cup pickling lime to 2 quarts of water for 2 hours.  Then I rinsed well and soaked in clean cold water for an hour.  Click Here to find the recipe that I used.

To the bottom of each pint jar add
1 teaspoon dill seed
1 garlic clove
4 coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 small bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

Fill the jar with you cucumbers leaving 1/2 inch head space

Top with a small sprig of dill (optional but I did)

To make brine,
4 cups water
4 cups vinegar
5 tablespoons canning salt

Bring to a boil and fill jars

Here are my jars waiting for the brine.  I cut most of them into slices
and a few into spears.  I did both pints and quarts.  If you do quarts
just double the amount of spices that you put in the jars.



Here are my jars waiting to go into the canner. The pints are already in.


To process can in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pints and 15 minutes for quarts.  Let cool and check for proper seal.  Store for later use.  You should wait at least a week before using them to allow the flavor to get to its fullest.  Although I opened one of the jars of my friends pickles today just to see how they tasted.   Oh they are so good.  I love the flavor and they were crispy.  I can't wait to taste mine with the garlic and coriander seed in them!!



I am linking to The Country Homemaker




3 comments:

Natalie said...

I think I will try this. It sounds delicious...although now I must say that I am very worried about the dill pickles I made. They have much less vinegar than yours and the recipe did not say to process them in a water bath at all, just hot pack in hot jars. I sure hope they are still going to be safe.

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

These sound good! My family loves pickles. I may just have to try these. I'll have to see if I can still get some pickling cukes at he little farm stand near our house. Our cucumber plants died in all this heat and drought. Thank you for linking up at the Carnival of Home Preserving!

Kendall said...

I made your recipe. And my family loves them. We are a dill pickle family!!! Ill be making more next year for sure!