Saturday, August 25, 2012

Salsa Verde

I have never made salsa verde before.  For that matter I have never even tasted it before.  My mom had planted several tomatillo plants this year so we had a bunch to try.  Last night I picked 2 gallons of tomatillos.  I gave one gallon to my mom and I took home the other.  I wanted to try salsa verde.  I looked up several different recipes and found out that salsa verde is a quite spicy hot salsa.  I wanted a more mild version that my husband and kids would like.  So I just added more tomatillos in place of the green chilies and jalapenos. 

I ended up using the recipe out of my canning book So Easy To Preserve.

Salsa Verde
5 cups chopped tomatillos
1 /2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon or lime juice (I used lime)
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin (optional, but I added it)
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves (optional, but I added it)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Start out by husking your tomatillos.  I had no clue how sticky they were.

 
Once husked wash them very well.



Chop them up and measure out your ingredients.  I used tomatillos in place of the peppers.  I did add in to banana peppers to give it a little pepper flavor.  But I did not want the heat.  Add the rest of your ingredients and bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Stirring frequently.  Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. 

 
Put in clean, hot, sterilized jars.  Leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Wipe rims clean and put on new hot lids.  Screw on rings and
tighten by hand.  Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


I ended up with 6 pints.  The recipe says it makes 5.  I think I had a little
more tomatillos than called for though. 
 

 
The taste was truly amazing.  It has just a little kick but very mild.
Plus I love the lime flavor to it.  It tastes so fresh!! Yum!!
I will be making this again.  I am hoping we get more tomatillos out of the garden
At least enough to make one more batch.  I put several jars into 1/2 pints to give away as gifts but after tasting the salsa now I am thinking I just might keep it.  Or just make another batch and still give some away!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

My husband loves this stuff.He only gets it if we go out to eat. No one else likes it in our family. Poor guy.