Monday, September 3, 2012

Chili Sauce

I have been trying to think of new things to can with all of our tomatoes.  I looked in my canning book and saw a recipe for chili sauce.  We do eat a  lot of chili in the colder months so I decided to try a batch.  I did not care for the spices that they suggested to I changed them.



Chili Sauce
4 quarts of peeled, chopped tomatoes
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (I used 2)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 - 1 1/2 cup vinegar (I used 1 1/2)

Combine all ingredients in a kettle.  Bring to boil; simmer until thick as desired.  stir frequently to prevent sticking and scorching.  Pour into hot pint jars.  Leave 1/2 inch head space.  Wipe jar rims.  Adjust lids and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Here are all my ingredients in my kettle
 
After a couple of hours it had cooked down quite a bit.
 
I got 10 pints of chili sauce.  I tasted some of it and was very pleased.
It is sweet with a true chili flavor.  Not spicy either.  So it is perfect
for my family. I will add a jar of my tomatoes, pinto beans, and
hopefully some ground venison (I am being optimistic that we will
get a few deer this year!).  Then we will have some wonderful
tasty chili for those cold winter nights!!
 
I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Barn Hop
 
 

No comments: