Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Apple Butter

This was my first attempt at apple butter and I was very pleased with the results and the simplicity of the recipe.  I made my apple butter in my crock pot.  It is so easy that way.  All you do is load it up and stir once in a while.

First I loaded my crock pot completely full of peeled and sliced apples.  I had a variety of apples in it.


Next add your sugar and spices.  I used 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  You can change the amount of sugar and spices to suit your own taste.


I turned my slow cooker on high to give it a kick start and cooked it for 1 hour.  I stirred once after half an hour.


After an hour turn down the slow cooker to low.  Let cook until the apples have cooked down and thickened.  I let mine go for 12 hours.  It was pretty much ready after 10 but I could not get to it to can right away.  Stir down your apples occasionally.

After 1 hour of cooking

After 4 hours of cooking.  You can see the apples are beginning
to cook down.  


Once the apples break down quite a bit you can use a whisk to stir
the apples.  It helps continue breaking them down and makes the
apple butter smooth.
 
The apple butter is done and ready to can.  It is nice and thick.
My house smells wonderful!!
Put the apple butter into clean sterilized jars.  Leave 1/4 inch head space.  Wipe rims and adjust caps.  Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  I ended up with 8 1/2 half pint jars.  I had a little more than that but found out my hubby was eating some of it when I was not home. He said it was really good!!  I will keep a few jars and give some away as Christmas gifts!!
 
 
 
 
I am linking to The Homestead Barn Hop
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Simple Heart said...

It looks delicious and I'm sure your kitchen smelled wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your recipe - I will be trying this :-)
blessings..