Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Canned Apple Pie Filling

I thought I was done canning for the year.  The garden was pretty much finished and normally freeze pumpkin and squash.  A friend let me come over and pick apples out of their orchard.  So I decided to put up some apple pie filling. 

I did not have time to take pictures of each step like I normally do.  The steps are the same as for the raspberry pie filling.  See my post on Raspberry Pie Filling to see step by step pictures.

The recipe is slightly different though for the apple pie filling though. 

To make 7 quart jars

6 quarts of blanched peeled and sliced apples
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Clear Jel
1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Nutmeg
2 1/2 cups Cold Water
5 Cups Apple Juice
3/4 Cup Bottled Lemon Juice

Mix sugar, clear jel, cinnamon, nutmeg, water, and apple juice in a large kettle.  On medium high heat bring to a boil stirring frequently.  Cook until thick and bubbly.  Add lemon juice and stir constantly for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and fold in apples.  Put into clean and sterilized jars.  Leave 1 inch head space. Process in a boiling water bath; pints and quarts are both 25 minutes. 

To blanch apples bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Put in 6 cups of apples at a time.  Bring back to boil and boil for 1 minute.  Remove and drain.

1 comment:

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

Do they fill an 8 or 9 inch pie tin? I've always wanted to try this, but I don't think it will be enough for my giant pie plate. It sure looks good.