Thursday, November 1, 2012

Canned All Fruit Mince Meat

I still have apples left so I was trying to think of something else to make with them or can with them.  I love the taste of mince meat but not everyone likes the meat and suet in it.  I haves seen a lot of recipes for All Fruit Mince Meat.  This is great to use as a pie filling or you can use it to make cookies and many other things. 

I pulled out an older cook book that I normally forget about.  It is a cookbook written by someone from the upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is called Mrs. Chard's Almanac Hollyhocks and Radishes.  It has a lot of old simple recipes.

I will give you the original recipe and let you know what I change to make mine. I just used what I had in my pantry or what I had canned.

The original recipe is called                                                                         
  Venison Mincemeat with Cider
3 pounds lean venison, cooked
1/2 pound beef suet or butter
3 quarts of chopped green apples
3 pounds of raisins
1 pound currants
2 cups canned fruit with juice (i.e. cherries, plums, pineapple)
3 cups sugar
3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 quart apple cider                        
                                                                                                                    
The way I made it

All Fruit Mincemeat
 I looked in my pantry and                                                                                                
 pulled out all the dried fruit
I had blueberries, cranberries,
 dates, and raisins. This added up
to about 2 quarts of dried fruit
I used 2 cups crushed pineapple that  was canned.
 3 cups sugar
 3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
 2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1 quart white grape juice (that I canned)
I added enough chopped apples to fill my large
 crock pot.


I left it on low for 4 hours while I was away.  When I came home I switched it to my large kettle to finish thickening it up.  It was getting late and I wanted to get it canned before midnight.  I cooked it another 2 hours  until it was nice and thick. 

 
I put it into pint jars and followed my canning book recommendations for canning fruit pie filling. I left 1 inch head space and  processed in a boiling water bath for 25 minutes for quarts or pints.
 

I ended up with 12 pints of All Fruit Mincemeat.  The original recipe says it yields 10 quarts.  I tasted it and was very pleased with the taste.  Nice and sweet and I love the spice.  I can't wait to use it in some cookies or pie!!


I am linking to Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop


 




No comments: