Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Baby Shower Cookies

We are doing a baby shower for our church.  Our nursery and toddler room needs a lot of things so we decided to do a baby shower.  We are just bringing in the items unwrapped and placing them on a table.  But I thought it would be fun to actually have some punch, cookies, and mints and play some games complete with prizes. 

I used my normal sugar cookie recipe but this time instead of piping on my normal butter cream frosting I used the flooding technique with royal icing. 

I love this recipe because the cookies keep their shape.  So many sugar cookies puff up and taste great but their shape gets distorted.  This recipe puffs up slightly and keeps its shape!! I almost always make a double batch.

Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Cream sugar, shortening, and margarine.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Add flour, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until dough comes together into a ball.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Heat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.  Roll dough out onto lightly floured board.  Cut with desired cookie cutter.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 6-8 minutes or until light brown.  Remove from cookie sheet; cool.  Frost and decorate.  Yields about 2 dozen.

The royal icing recipe I use is wonderful, tastes great and always works for me.  I use it for gingerbread houses and other cookies.

  • 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons meringue powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 6 tablespoons warm water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  •  
    In a bowl, combine the first three ingredients. Add water and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
     
    Use this to pipe around the edge of the cookie.  Then mix with water to a thinner consistency.  Use this to fill in the center of cookie.  Let harden several hours before you cover and store!!
     
     

    1 comment:

    Michelle said...

    I am looking for cookie recipes that are tried and true. Any chance you might post the recipe? I already copied the icing recipe. They look so good!