Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Orange Taffy

This is called taffy but it tastes more like an orange caramel.  They are so yummy though and almost addicting.  They remind me of those Brachs flavored caramels. 

This is also a recipe that I got out of one of my old taste of home magazines.  Here is the recipe on line.  I will also give you the original recipe as it was printed in the magazine.

Orange Taffy
2 cups sugar
2 cups light corn syrup
1 can (6 oz) frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
pinch salt
1 cup light cream
1/2 cup butter

In a heavy saucepan, combine the first four ingredients.  Make sure you use only 6 oz of orange juice.  I normally can only find a 12 oz can so I just put half the can of orange juice in it. Insert your candy thermometer before you turn on the heat.  Cook and stir  over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a boil and cook until a candy thermometer reads 245 degrees Fahrenheit. You do not need to stir once the sugar has dissolved.


While this is cooking prepare your pan.  Line a 15x10x1 inch pan with aluminum foil.  Spray foil with cooking spray.



Add the cream and butter and stir.  Bring back to 245 degrees Fahrenheit stirring frequently. 


The mixture will begin to darken and thicken as it gets closer to 245 degrees.


Pull off the heat and pour mixture into the prepare pan.  I like to have mine on a cooling rack so that it cools down a lot faster.

Once it is cool lift out the taffy and flip it onto a cutting board.  Peel off the foil. 


I cut the taffy into 1/2 inch long strips and then into 1 1/2 inch long pieces.  Some get a little shorter or a little longer.  It is not real exact.  Now you can actually roll each piece in your hand to form them into a log before you wrap them.  It was close to midnight so I just wrapped them in the shape that they were. 


I wrapped them in precut candy foil wrappers.  You can also wrap them in waxed paper pieces.  These look so festive and are pretty inexpensive at my local bulk food store. 


I packaged them in a clear bag so you could see all the pretty foil colors. 


2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am going to have to try this .I am always looking for new candy recipes.

Bonnie K said...

You have my kind of recipes. I will have to try this! Thanks for the ideas!