Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Home Made Fruit Roll Ups

Wow!! It has been a long time since I have been on here.  How life does get hectic and busy.  I spent the last 4 months getting my son tested and finally diagnosed with Dyslexia and a Language Disorder.  So I have been spending a lot of time catering to his needs in this new journey to help him through school and therapies to help him learn better.

I have been wanting to try and make fruit roll ups for a long time.  I have a dehydrator but it only came with one fruit leather tray.  I did not want to spend the time and only make one tray.  I saw about a year ago on someone's blog that they used parchment paper to line their trays with.  I tried it and it actually worked!!

I just used a spiced applesauce that I had made and canned last fall.  I have a lot of canned applesauce and my family is just not eating it up like usual.  So I used my fruit leather tray and lined my other three trays with parchment paper.  I opened up my jars of applesauce and spread it directly onto my trays.  Set my dehydrator to the fruit setting which is 135 degrees Fahrenheit and let it go over night.  By morning I had wonderful fruit leather.  It peeled right off the tray and parchment paper.

You want to peel it off while it is still warm and roll it up. It should be a little sticky but not wet.  I sliced each tray up into three pieces.  I had four trays so we got 12 fruit roll ups.  And to my delight I finally found a healthy snack that my picky eater will eat!!  I wrapped each one up individually in plastic wrap. 



1 comment:

Michelle said...

That looks really good.